Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ode to Molly

As I mentioned in my blog before, the Kemp family had a great dog named Molly. I told my family she was on the web and they were not pleased. I barely mentioned her. So, this post is dedicated to Molly, the funny dog.

I'll back up and give you a little history. When I was in 7th grade, my younger sister Emily (or Hoagie) wanted a dog. My dad's cousin had a poodle he wanted to give away, so we drove down to Greensberg and got Lanette. She was a faithful, smart dog, but died of cancer when I was a junior in high school. We watched her die in my room on a spring night. (Might I add, that if you have a hippie animal lover teacher, you get all sorts of extensions. Like, I was SUPPOSE to have finished a book for English, but didn't. I got out of French class to go read. Thank Mme Tuck.)

Anyway, we were saddened by the loss of Lanette. Mom planted a rose garden and we put a little poodle statue in the garden. Mom said she didn't want another dog. (hahahaha) A few months later, the vet called us and told us of three poodles that were brought into the office en route to the humane society. My dad said yes and we talked about which ones we wanted. (We couldn't have 3 dogs.) We went to adopt the puppy and his mom, but only the mom was left.

Since it was Mom's birthday present, we let Mom name her. Thus where she got the name Molly. Over the next 7 years, Molly would carve a space in the Kemp family forever.

It was a rough start for Molly. She was "house-trained", but that was a lie. She only went out if she wanted to go out. After several times of pooping in the house, we had enough. She would only go if you took her on a walk. If you let her out back, she would turn around and come right back in.

What were we to do? Well, we found out they make DIAPERS for dogs. Technically they are for dogs in heat, but hey it might work. Mom bought a package of cheap disposable diapers. The only problem is the lack of a "tail hole." We cut one out and slipped it on the dog. Molly DID NOT like her diapers. She would try to take them off, but we would only take them off when she went outside. She rarely went in the diapers. (Only pooped.)

After awhile, it seemed to work. She graduated from the diapers. I modified a diaper /pull up commercial for Molly. "I'm a big dog look what I can do. I can wear big dog pants too. And I can take them off without putting them back on. Doogie Mommy, WOW! I'm a big dog now."

I only got to live at home full time for a year before going to college in the fall. But when I came home, it was a royal welcome from Molly. She would run around the house barking and going crazy. She insisted to be picked up and held for an HOUR. If I tried to put her down she would jump all over me until I picked her up. Since she was only 7 pounds, you could hold her in one arm while doing other things.

I will continue the Molly story later. Next post.....Molly is a funny dog. All the ways Molly was funny. (I think it will take 2 posts.)

No comments: