Thursday, June 21, 2007

Another Alaskan Update

Ok, so I said I wouldn't blog in Alaska. Mostly because I didn't know if I would have access a computer. But hey, I do so I can up date you.

Today we went on a off-road jeep tour. Jason got to fulfill one of his wishes....off road in a four wheel drive that WASN'T his. (It tears the cars apart.) At first I thought it was another wilderness tour...BORING. (If you've seen one moose you've seen them all.) But then we got to go off road and it was so cool! We (I say we, but Jason drove along with another guy) got to do the typical off road things, like splash through water and mud and go over big bumps.

After 2 hours, we stopped for lunch. I got to pan for gold!! I also learned that you don't pan for gold for the money. (Sounds weird, huh?) It is the way the identify where the gold is. The more flakes, the further they start move upstream to find the source of the flakes. If the flakes disappear, stop and dig. If there is a fork in the stream test both sides to decide which side is the path to the gold. I did find gold, but the flakes were so small that if wasn't worth my time, energy or effort. (It took me 15 minutes just to pan out a lot of stuff. The flakes are so small it is hard to filter them out.)

Once again, I so want to post pictures. :-( The cord is nowhere close. If I can't blog until I get back, see you all next week. Tomorrow is the last day here, then I travel back to Seward where it is almost impossible.

No comments: