Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Catnip.....The legal drug for cats

First, let me be clear. I am against the use of illegal drugs. Any information I know I have learned from the media and books. I am also a high school teacher. (need I say more?)

However, in the world of cats, there are no illegal drugs. In the human world, some use pot or other drugs to get a "high" feeling. In the cat world, they get a high by catnip. You can buy the plants (or dried) pretty much anywhere.

As in the human drug world, there are different qualities. My cats prefer organically grown catnip from Alaska. (Thank you aunt Lauren.) I also grow catnip in the backyard. When it is in season, I will pick a leaf from time to time and rub it on their toys and carpet. It makes them go crazy! They also have two toys, the duck and carrot, that have a pouch to put catnip. I put the fresh leaf in there and it is a lot of fun for them.

They do not like the cheap stuff. I bought some catnip at the flea market in one of those cat stockings. I ended up throwing it out b/c they could care less. The more expensive, the better.

It is a mind altering drug. When Shadrack is "on" catnip, he will growl and hiss at you if you try to pet him or take it away. I would post a small video of him "high", but I don't know how to do it. Please let me know if you know how to post a video on the blog.

NOTE: The picture of Shadrack by himself, he is holding the pillow with organic Alaskan catnip. That is why he looks so attached to it.

No comments: