Monday, June 14, 2010

Pacux: Day 2



This morning when we arrived at the church, the girl (whose name I can't remember) ran up to me and said "Me gusta ma amga" and gave me a big hug. I have done nothing to receive her love. I have hugged them and walked with them. I long to help and give to them whatever I can. They are so loving and gracious. I knew (or had heard) of this, but it is surreal. How can people, who literally have nothing, be so loving? Their shoes are torn, barely on. They have only 1 or 2 outfits total. One boy was so excited to see us when we pulled up, he ran to the clothesline, grabbed his pants, and changed from his shorts to his nice khaki pants. He wanted to look nice for us. We already have so many stories, and it has only been a day and a half. It amazed me today when our USA kids whined on the bus. I even asked, "How can you still play video games and eat candy when there are kids RIGHT OUTSIDE THE BUS who have nothing!"

This morning we had a mini women's conference. We told them about Christ's love, what it means to be a godly woman. I translated my testimony in Spanish (with help from a co-worker) before we left. So I read it to the women. They said they could understand every word. I thought it would have a lot more meaning to it if I read it myself. It went well. We also prayed. The people of Pacux repeat all the prayers when one prays out loud. We also had a time for them to pray. I don't know much Spanish, but I listened to this prayer. She thanked God for "the Americans" and tried to PRAY FOR US BY NAME! (Including using the nickname "Santa Claus" for my husband and another youth on the trip.) Some find it funny she prayed for "Santa Claus", but I find it humbling to think that she could be praying for ANYTHING, but chose to pray for us. She had no food, clean water, many clothes, possibly even 4 walls (a hurricane could wipe them out) and she prayed for US!

*Not originally part of the blog: We also washed their feet and painted their fingernails. It was a way for us to pamper the women while we had their children somewhere else. We also gave everyone a gift bag with soaps, shampoos, toothpaste...etc.*

This afternoon we had another VBS. We were also having the mothers come. My experience was a first for the trip: I got angry and upset. Yesterday when I passed out bubbles, I was concerned about the mobs. I tried to stress it to the group how to avoid it again. We colored first-it worked. All the kids sat and they passed out papers and crayons. It was amazing how they colored and that they colored the people white, not brown (cafe). Most did a nice job. It was calm. However, while they were happily coloring, they started passing out play-doh. They said nothing about lines, so the kids started to push and shove. I am upset. Each kid did not receive one and some got more than one. There is a lot of bullying going on. I don't like to see them fight and push over play-doh, bubbles...etc. Why did we create chaos? It hurts so much to see the weak, who Jesus loved the most, be shut out. They are sinners too. I don't know how to feel. None have it and all want it. It is kind of like survival of the fittest. But WE are creating it. I don't know the solution. In a culture of chaos it is expected, but it shuts out the weak. I don't want to see us Americans create sin because of our things. Maybe that is why Americans are so selfish. We have so much, but it is never enough. Kids got a small thing of play-doh, but it was not enough. It pains me to see the sin because of us. I wish I had a solution. If they could sit we could see who has been served and who has not. I guess I need to pray and not let my own sin get in the way of this ministry.

On the positive, it was cool to see the mothers interaction in the playground. Tina was there. They also wanted their photo taken with their friends and family. I am sad that I don't have a child that I know that well, but I know I am ministering to this community. Besides, apparently I have a good Spanish accent, even though I know maybe 30 words. (I also saw a "gato" today. They have tons of perros!) I also washed my clothes in the sink today. That was different! I took pictures. We have also had interesting meals. I have eaten all of them. Yesterday we had eggs, toast, and funny looking sausages (I didn't eat these)/Cheeseburgers and Cheetos/fried chicken (very yummy). Today we had funny pancakes (very dense)/burritos with chicken and onions (I had them make me one without onions)/Spaghetti and toast.

No comments: