Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pacux Day 1


While in our hotel room in Rabinal, I decided to write down everything. In pen in paper that means "journal" online it means "blog." So I am going to transfer my "journal" into a "blog". I am trying to decide how to edit it, since I smushed day 1 and 2 on the same page. I am going to copy it as best as I can word for word. At some points on the trip, I became very emotional due to the very nature of the trip.

This morning was suppose to be spent fixing the school. But, we really didn't know what to do. We went to the school first. Earlier that day, I was timid. I couldn't speak Spanish, so how could I love these kids? How would they know? As I was sitting, a little girl came to me with her sister. Her sister was only two and scared of the "strangers". But the older sister knew the "Americans" well enough to know we were nice and meant well and wanted her sister to know us too. She kept giving her to me to hold, but she would cry every time. Finally, I managed to communicate that she needed to hold her hand while we walk so she was not so scared. (The child's name was Margarita.)

So, we went on a tour of the village with the children. We just walked, no where to go. We saw the "tile factory" where they make tiles for their roofs. It looked more like a tent where they made tiles. Nothing more. There was a mango tree nearby. I saw boys picking up rocks and throwing them hard on the ground. I asked myself "why?" Turns out, they were "testing" the rocks. They then threw the rock at the mango tree to knock down the mangoes to eat. They SHARED! They watch out for their friends and family. I was holding the 2-yr old and walking with her sister (looks 6, but is 9). The older sister went to a different tree by the river and looked for mangoes on the ground and gave one to her baby sister. Since I was carrying her, I got mango all over my shirt. (I called it the mango shirt because I HAD to wash it in my sink.) She also gave one to a girl who was walking with us who had special needs. She was mute and had to have someone interpret into spanish for her and then interpret it to us in English. So sad, kind of like a double outcast. She then gave ME a mango. She hardly knew me, but was generous and shared a good mango she found off the ground. She didn't keep it for later, but gave it to me. I felt bad because I was told not to eat it, so I gave it to another child. Note: They do not eat the peel of a mango, but spit it out. Even the baby knew this and so she continued to spit out the peel on my arm/shirt around 10 times. Once again, so generous.

As we were walking back towards the church, getting ready to leave for lunch, the girl I had been walking with said, "Tu es bonita" (I cannot spell Spanish at all!) I had no idea what she said so I just nodded. I found a translator and asked what is "bonita" and she said "beautiful". She said I was beautiful?? I am not. I am so selfish and wealthy is makes me sick. I want to love them. I want to hold them and provide for them.

So, the first day we had a VBS in the park. Thanks to my LMHS students, we had SO many bubbles. Once I started passing out bubbles, it was a MOB. I had kids pushing and shoving so much. They were knocking me over. I got a translator to come over and say "1 per kid." Once the initial group went away, they came back for more. Apparently, they were taking more than one and hiding it for later. Our USA kids found slews in the bushes, plants, dirt, and even behind a chain link fence. It is hard to believe something as simple as bubbles is coveted. (I later learned that they were getting extra for their family and friends, not themselves.) I learned how to say "No tengo" and "Uno (hold up bubbles), uno nino." I found out later "no mas" is what I should have said. Here is the astounding part: we went back on the second day and saw MANY kids with bubbles. They had saved them to use again for days to come. The USA kids would waste it and come back and ask for more. These kids were so gracious they cherished it. They also cherished the wordless books and children's bulletins we brought for them.

After the first day, I couldn't believe what else He would have in store for us.

No comments: